Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chester French has a thing for black girls

So check this out...


When I first watched this video I was kinda flattered because it is nice to be celebrated as desirable. But then I watched it again...you know, because it's hot. And I saw some issues with the video. First let's talk about the positive stuff:
The black woman is strikingly beautiful. She isn't cookie cutter with long extensions and super light skin. I guess that's refreshing.

Now the issues:
The video is highly sexual, effectively holding up the stereotype of black women being insatiable sex-pots. Also, why didn't the band Chester French actually appear in the video? They're singing the music, but you don't actually see them say the words "I got a thing for black girls."

The song and its video are fun and provocative, but hardly progressive.

I guess I should be happy they didn't have the black girl oiled up and bouncing her butt in the camera. Thank the sweet baby jesus for small favors.

No comments:

Post a Comment